While setting up a live channel is easy, admittedly the encoder setup page is the most challenging step.
(In case your device is not recent enough and your encoder is unknown from Akamai)
This guide focuses solely on the Encoder Setup step. It is broken into three steps to mimic its presentation on the site:
1. Publishing Point
Our system auto-detects and optimizes the selection of the publishing point based on the location of your stream.
Please note that DaCast does not support adaptative live transcoding for now but soon will!
Right now it uses a multi-bitrate method for live video wherein the broadcaster can setup several different qualities to stream at.
Our player is adaptive and automatically detects your encoder multi-bitrate settings to provide the best quality stream to your viewers based upon their connections.
2. Select an Encoder
Various encoders are displayed here:
- OBS Studio: an open broadcaster software that you can use to freely and easily set up your stream.
Please be aware that OBS studio does not support multi-bitrate.
- Wirecast: a paid software encoder available for Max and Windows (free demo is available but your broadcasts will contain both video and audio watermarks)
- VMix: a paid encoder for Windows (free 60 days trial)
- VIDBlaster: a paid encoder for Windows (free demo available but your broadcasts will contain video watermark)
- Other RTMP Encoders: you are free to use any hardware or software encoders with DaCast as long as they are RTMP-based.
When choosing the setup in your encoder, make sure your KeyFrame interval is 2 or 3 seconds and nothing else.
To have more information on the supported codec and Stream redundancy, Click here. (Part B and C)
3. Start Streaming
The third step contains the information you will need to enter in your encoder to connect it to your DaCast live channel.
- Stream URL and Stream names are always needed. If you are having trouble using the Stream URL you might use the Backup URL.
Example of Stream URL: rtmp://p.ep123456.i.akamaientrypoint.net/EntryPoint
Example of Back Up URL: rtmp://b.ep123456.i.akamaientrypoint.net/EntryPoint
Example of Stream name: dclive_1_150@123456
Some encoders have one URL field only. If this is your case, please go into the "Other RTMP encoders" (step 2) and click on the link below the back up URL to access a full URL. The full URL is a combination of the Stream URL and the stream name.
Example of a Full URL: rtmp://p.ep123456.i.akamaientrypoint.net/EntryPoint/dclive_1_150@123456
- Login and Password are needed when DaCast is not integrated in the dropdown menu of the encoder.
Example of Login: 123456
Example of Password: 321654
When DaCast is available in the dropdown menu of your encoder you can log in to your account by using your DaCast credentials.
We provide tutorials for most of the encoders you can easily use with DaCast:
- Flash Media Live Encoder
- OBS: for Mac or Windows
- Teradek VidiU
- Discover Video Multimedia Encoder
- GOP interval (Keyframe interval) (Paragraph D1)
- Frame Rate (FPS) (Paragraph D2)
- Scene Detection (Paragraph D3)
- Timestamp (Paragraph D4)
- Interlaced Content (Paragraph D5)
- Encoder CPU Load (Paragraph D6)